We all know how effective vitamin C is for boosting your immunity and it is great at helping keep those colds at bay. But here are few other reasons you may not know, of why vitamin C is so important for your skin:
- It helps produce and maintain collagen in the skin, which improves skin elasticity. Collagen is important to strengthen blood vessels, ligaments, bones and connective tissue.
- It can help skin repair itself, as vitamin C replaces damaged tissue and can speed up the healing process.
- Vitamin C fights free radicals, which we develop due to pollution & sun exposure and other environmental factors
- Being deficient in vitamin C can result in dry hair and split ends, you can support healthy hair growth through regular consumption
- Your nails will also thank you for vitamin C, as it can also strengthen and help your nails grow
Ideally we will get all of our vitamin C intake from our diet, but sometimes we all know, that is just not possible. At times like this, I really like to call in a chewable Vitamin C tablet. To be honest I don’t have a favourite brand, I typically get the higher potency between 500-100mg one when I am needing a quick boost and I usually pick some up whenever I see it on special.
Experts suggest you can’t do too much damage taking higher amounts of vitamin C, in the sense that your clever body will just excrete what it doesn’t require. So whilst there will be no harm in dosing up, there is also no real advantage to consuming too much, as your body doesn’t store vitamin C, which is why daily intake is important. Typically the average female requires on average 80mg of vitamin C a day. The best food to consume with higher levels of Vitamin C are Oranges, Green Peppers, Strawberries, Kiwifruit and Tomatoes.
As well as ingesting vitamin C, we are increasingly seeing more cosmetics companies including this power-house vitamin into skincare products, due to its brightening and tightening properties.
On that note, I am off to reach for a juicy Orange!